1. By updating the graphics card driver, you can solve and prevent graphics card-related problems that may occur while using the Marvelous Designer software.
2. Guides you on how to properly connect your desktop graphics card and monitor.
Applicable for: All users of Marvelous Designer software
1. OpenGL version warning appears when running Marvelous Designer software as shown in the figure below.
2. Graphics/texture errors or rendering images appear strange while running Marvelous Designer software.
3. If the Marvelous Designer GPU-simulation or GPU-rendering speed is lower than the expected performance of your computer's specifications.
How to Update Graphics Card Driver
Step 1) Find out the product name of the graphics card (GPU) installed in your desktop computer or laptop.
As shown in the figure below, you can find the model name of your graphics card (GPU) in the Performance tab of Windows Device Manager.
Step 2) Search and download the latest driver matching the product name from each manufacturer's website.
Note that even if the graphics card model name looks the same or similar, the drivers for laptops and desktops, and for workstations and servers are different. Search for and install the driver for the type of computer you are using.
Step 3) Run the downloaded driver file. It is recommended to install with administrator privileges.
- A computer reboot may be required after driver installation. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Connecting the monitor and graphics card correctly
As shown in the figure below, if the monitor cable is connected to the CPU built-in GPU, the built-in GPU is mainly used instead of the external graphics card. OpenGL version warnings may occur when running Marvelous Designer in this situation.
How to fix
Step 1) Save the files you are working on and turn off the computer completely.
Step 2) Connect the monitor cable to the external graphics card and turn on the computer. Connect all monitor cables to the external graphics card, even when using more than one monitor.
Step 3) If there is no screen output on the monitor, try reconnecting the monitor power.
Supported monitor cable types vary depending on the graphic card and monitor.
If you are using the latest monitor and the latest graphic card, most support HDMI or DP (DisplayPort).
Find the right cable for your monitor and graphics card. Saved search (Link)
- Marvelous Designer software automatically detects the graphics card and driver installed in the computer when launching, and displays a warning if an unsupported graphics card or outdated driver is found. Please refer to the guide above to solve the problem.
- If you are using a laptop with an Nvidia graphics card, the laptop will have either an AMD processor or an Intel processor with integrated graphics GPU and Nvidia GPU, respectively, depending on the situation. If an openGL-related error appears while using the Marvelous Designer software, select 'High-performance Nvidia processor' in the Nvidia control panel as shown below and click Apply.
- If you set Windows Update to 'Auto', it will automatically install the latest graphics card driver. However, the driver provided by the graphics card manufacturer's website is more up-to-date than the Windows update version.
- It is recommended to update the graphics card driver at least once every 6 months. It helps with Marvelous Designer software as well as all other graphics programs and overall system performance and stability.
- To check GPU usage in Windows, select GPU in the Performance tab of Task Manager as shown below. For Windows 11 users, use a dedicated utility like GPU-z (freeware, download link)
- If you are using a Mac, the graphics card driver is included in macOS. If you update to the latest macOS, the latest graphics card driver is also installed.
- To check CPU-GPU usage on Mac, use the Activity Monitor app built-in to macOS.
- Also check the Marvelous Designer system requirements for graphics card-related information.
Article is closed for comments.